On the 8th of February this year Logitech released the Logitech Group, just in time to show of the new product at ISE´16 in Amsterdam. The Group is the device they chose to replace their old CC3000e, which was release in January 2014.
The GROUP is suitable for small and medium meeting rooms with for between 14-20 contestants. It’s a plug and play device, easy to install for the tech novice that wants to improve the video conferencing experience in the office. All you need is a laptop and a calling software such as Skype for Business, Cisco, Vidyo, Zoom or BlueJeans etc.
There is a ocean of video conferencing options, from the simple web cameras to the pro-level integrated videoconference systems. The Logitech GROUP fits in the vast middle ground of options out there. I would rank the GROUP above the portable Logitech ConferenceCam Connect that Logitech released last year, but below more professional options from amongst other Polycom or Crestron.
The GROUP can flaunt a PTZ (Pan, Tilt, Zoom) camera with a Carl Zeiss lens, it films in Full HD (1080p) at 30fps, it has a 90° field of view, 260°pan, 130° tilt with 10 times lossless HD zoom. So basically this is a no-nonsense camera for a cut-throat price of other PTZ cameras on the market.
The speaker unit has four omni directional microphones with active noise cancelling and echo cancellation to filter out background noise that might disturb the conversation and echos. The microphone gives you the possibilities to record from 6meters/20feet. Logitech also sells an extension kit with a pair of extra microphones, which will extend recording distance to 8.5m/28feet. This will do good if you are seated around a long table with 8 plus contestants.
The one ting I would say is that even if the 5 meter long cable from the camera to the hub seems more than good enough, several of my customers wants to place it on the wall beneath their flat screen. But unfortunately the cable is to short to do that and with the use of 6-pin mini-din (or PS2) cables Logitech has made it very hard and expensive to extend the camera more than the original 5meters. Your only option as far as I know is a proprietary product from Cables to Go called C2G 34019. The only thing you need is a Cat5 or Cat6 cable and you can extend the camera up to 100 feet.
I would say there are 2 usage areas for Logitech Group.
- NFC and Bluetooth technology offers an easy connection to your smartphone (being OS or Android) or your tablet.
- USB connection, BYOD (bring your own device) and just plug the USB into the computer and you are good to go.
|-The PTZ camera||-The silly cables (6-pin mini-din)|
|-Price||-Too short camera cable|
|-The extension mics|
- Smooth motorized pan, tilt and zoom,
- controlled from remote or console 260°pan,
- 130° tilt
- 10x lossless HD zoom
- 90° Field of View
- Full HD 1080p 30fps
- 264 UVC 1.5 with Scalable Video Coding (SVC)
- Autofocus 5 camera presets
- Far-end control (PTZ) of ConferenceCam products
- ZEISS lens certifcation
- Kensington security slot
- LED to confirm video streaming
- Standard tripod thread
- Full-duplex performance
- Acoustic echo cancellation
- Noise reduction technology
- Ultra-wideband audio
- Bluetooth and NFC wireless technology
- LCD for caller ID, call duration and other functional response
- LEDs for speakerphone streaming, mute, hold, and Bluetooth wireless paring
- Touch controls for call answer/end, volume and mute, Bluetooth – plus camera PTZ, “home” preset and farend control
- Four omni-directional microphones supporting 20-foot diameter range
- Frequency response: 100Hz – 11KHz
- Sensitivity: -28dB +/-3dB
- Distortion: <1% @ 1KHz at 106dB
- Frequency response: 120Hz – 14KHz
- Sensitivity: 83dBSPL +/-3dB at 1W/1M
- Max output: 91dBSPL
- Distortion: <5% from 200Hz
- Kensington security slot
HUB / CABLE
- Central mountable hub for connection of all components
- Included adhesive solution for under-table mounting
- Two cables for connection between hub and camera/ speakerphone (Length: 5m/16’)
- One USB cable for connection to PC/Mac (Length: 3m/6.6’)
- AC Power adapter (Length: 3m/9.8’)
- 5m/28-foot range
COMPLIANCE AND TOOLS
- USB 2.0 compliant
- UVC-compliant video and audio for broad application compatibility
- Optimized for Microsoft® Lync®, Certifed for Skype for Business, Cisco Jabber® and WebEx® compatible. Enhanced integration with Logitech Collaboration Program (LCP) members.
- Downloadable diagnostic tool
- Field upgradeable frmware tool
- Downloadable app plug-ins for advanced feature support